Thursday, December 20, 2012

Yes, Virginia...

 Since I was a child, perhaps since the beginning of time, The question has been asked; "Is therethere really a Santa Clause?" Big brothers and sisters have enjoyed the torment of their younger siblings by informing the believers; There is no Santa Clause.
I am a believer of magic. the divine brilliant power that God gives to all of his children to do his will in this world. You can no more prove to me that there is no Santa Clause then you can prove to me there is no God. Our responsability as the children of this omnipotent being is to believe in the wonders of his powers, and to me that means Santa clause. I have experienced a load of toys and gifts being dropped off at my house by an anonymous stranger...is that not Santa Clause?
 The best response to this question was given in 1899 by The New York Sun newspaper to a little girl named Virginia O'Hanlon. Her father told her; "If you want to know ask The Sun. If its in The Sun, its so."

"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Clause. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know they are bound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! How dreary would the world be if there were no Santa Clause!"    

1 comment:

  1. Hi Traci, I liked this thought-provoking post. I hope Santa is good to you this year.

    Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author of
    We Shall Overcome
    and
    How to Build a Better Mousetrap:
    Recollections and Reflections of a Family Caregiver
    http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete