Thursday, March 28, 2013

Author Review: Scott R. Caseley

 Whenever I talk about what my word count is for the day, my husband  always remarks that he doesn't need thousands of words to tell a story. He can do it in a few dozen. While this is true for any writer or story teller; it lacks the essential elements of character development.
Good characters have either changing characteristics or changing motivations. Great characters have both. In "isosceles", the coming of age YA novel by Scott R. Caseley, The author has developed not just one but three great characters through the use of shanging motivations and characteristics.
This triangle of friendship takes the kids from a time in their lives when they have everything in common through points of their development that mold then into not only distinct personalities, but vital roles  in the friendship.
Sean, Trey, and Madeline go through the common losses of childhood and adolescence, but they all experience uncommon tragedies that they share. The absence, abandonment, and death of parents. Heartache, heartbreak, and the loss of innocence.
Never has growing up been a more precarious journey than when it is done within their sometimes fractured and unsteady bond of friendship.
This novel pulled me into it. I was angry and frustrated at times. I ached for these kids and wept for their broken childhoods. The brutal nature of their experiences mixed with the horror of the outcome touched me as I read and I felt I knew these kids. The raw and unfettered nature of their language, their lives and their loves was masterfully accomplished as my heart was truly with these people and they lost their role as simply characters in a story.
I got a sneak peek at Caseley's next novel and I can't wait to find out what else he's got for us. To read more about Scott R. Caseley go to
Twitter URL: twitter.com/scottrcaseley

7 comments:

  1. Traci,

    Thank you doesn't even begin to cover how much this review touched my heart. It really was truly wonderful to read and I am so glad that the novel in particular my characters had such an impact on you. Just wanted you to know though, the excerpt at the back of the novel is by another Muse author. But, when my next novel does come out, you will be one of the first to know.

    Thank you again,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a privelege to read your work, and I'm sorry about the mix-up with the sneak peek. Reviewing without seeing is confusing sometimes. I should be more careful. Let me know when your next book is ready. I would love to host you again on my blog.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the early invitation, I appreciate that and the praise greatly. And, please do not worry about the mix-up, it's happened before with other folks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Quick PS- I wanted you to know that I read your review to a friend of mine and she teared up and said, tell her, "She has a beautiful way with words." Just thought you'd like to know that.

    Thank you again, Traci.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Traci for hosting and reviewing Scott's book Isosceles. It has been great chatting with you about as well. I hope others, including book clubs, pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful review. I can't wait to read the book. Congratulations, Scott, on a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much, Marian. I appreciate that. Enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete