Saturday, November 3, 2012

Music To My Ears

As a blind writer I rely on many different sensations to fill my mind and imagination for stories, plots, and characters in my novels. I enjoy learning and researching people, places, and experiences through the internet and books; as well as real life.
  I register sounds and smells more consciously than anything else. I have been an auditory learner since I was a little girl. I have always been drawn to poetry and songs because of the predictability and pattern that is part of their make-up. I "Feel" the words of songs more than I hear them.Perhaps that is the reason I have such a deep respect for lyricists.

  The job of a lyricist is more demanding than that of an author of a book. Author's have thousands of words to explain a story or emotion. A lyricist must accomplish in 16-20 lines what authors have volumes to accomplish. The discipline and talent involved with writing poetry and songs can not even be compared to other genre's.
  I must admit though, as an author, I benefit from this deep well of gifted words. Some of my best ideas for stories come from the words of songs. In my current novel, 'Killing Casanova', the line-"A snake with blue eyes"  is the perfect example of a powerful image created in just a few words.
  Often writers will include a play list along with their novels. A list of music they listened to and that inspired them while they were developing a particular character, or scene. It is a great reservoir of inspiration even if you don't enjoy that particular kind of music.
  Songs and poems are like short stories. Listen carefully to the words of the songs on the radio the next time you are in a car. Try to hear the story in a song the next time you hear your favorite tune. The highest level of appreciating any artistic work is to see or hear it with your heart. Let music move and inspire you and you will begin to hear it with more than just your ears.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful piece, Traci. It really moved me. I especially liked it when you said, "A list of music they listened to and that inspired them while they were developing a particular character, or scene. It is a great reservoir of inspiration even if you don't enjoy that particular kind of music." This is so very true.

    ReplyDelete